For the 3rd month in a row, the press release is an insult to true Disney fans. For the 3rd month in a row, a new all-time record has been set for least catalog additions in one month. 2022 marks the end of Disney pretending they cared about the library or subscribers requests.
The originals lineup is pretty great – Turning Red is going to be excellent, Cheaper by the Dozen will be fun, Proud Family: Louder and Prouder will pass some time, and of course it all ends with the premiere of Moon Knight, which is sure to be awesome. Then there’s the Olivia Rodrigo documentary driving home 2 u and shocking addition of not one, not two, but three international original series.
Except, we don’t subscribe solely for originals. The library is not there to fill the gaps in between. It’s unacceptable that we wait month after month for missing cartoons, films, and gems, only for Disney to provide a few Disney Junior commercial break shorts and call it day.
For the 2nd month in a row, we are forgoing our Monthly Library Breakdown article as there is nothing to talk about and Disney’s weird new habit of not announcing all the content in the initial press release has made it impossible to accurately breakdown the library until the month ends and we see what actually arrived. We’re gonna try something new this month and do a mini-breakdown within the article. For example, we’ll reveal the brands of each title and the tentative breakdown as it stands. Let us know how you like this new unified approach.
The Mini-Library Breakdown
DISNEY JUNIOR – 3
NAT GEO – 2
20TH CENTURY – 2
DISNEY CHANNEL / XD – 1
DISNEY – 0 (First month in history with 0 Disney library)
ABC / FREEFORM / FOX TV – 0
RECENT SHORTS – 0
VINTAGE TV / SHORTS – 0
TOTAL LIBRARY – 8. All-time lowest since launch. Horrendous effort.
ORIGINALS – 11. Super solid.
Arriving On Disney+ March 2022
- Brain Games: On The Road (Season 1) [Nat Geo]
- Broken Karaoke (Season 1) [Disney Channel]
- Mickey Mouse Funhouse (Season 1, 4 episodes) [Disney Junior]
- The Proud Family: Louder and Prouder (Episode 1×03) [Original]
- West Side Story (2021) [20th Century]
- Russia’s Wild Tiger (2022) (Relisted from February no-show) [Nat Geo] [Incorrectly listed as “White Tiger” in the press release]
- The Proud Family: Louder and Prouder (Episode 1×04) [Original]
- Week-End Family (Season 1) [French Original]
- Embrace the Panda: Making Turning Red [Original]
- Pixar’s Turning Red [Original]
- The Proud Family: Louder and Prouder (Episode 1×05) [Original]
- Cheaper by the Dozen (2022) [Original]
- More Than Robots (2022) [Original]
- Step (2017) [20th Century; Searchlight]
- Doc McStuffins (Shorts) (Season 1) [Disney Junior]
- Doc McStuffins: The Doc Files (Season 1) [Disney Junior]
- Parallels (Season 1) [French Original]
- The Proud Family: Louder and Prouder (Episode 1×06) [Original]
- OLIVIA RODRIGO: driving home 2 u (2022) [Original]
- The Wonderful Spring of Mickey Mouse (2022) [Original]
- The Knights of Castelcorvo (Season 1) [Italian Original]
- Marvel Studios Moon Knight (Episode 1×01) [Original]
- The Proud Family: Louder and Prouder (Episode 1×07) [Original]
Leaving March 1
Catch That Kid (2004) – only 6 weeks after getting added, it’s gone for over a year to HBO
Ongoing Bad Streaks
Additional Statistics / Wrap
Returning titles: 0
Re-listed titles: 1 (Russia’s Wild Tiger)
First month in history with 0 Disney films
Least representation for every brand all in same month.
This month is awful. There is no way to sugar coat this library offering. Enjoy the originals as it seems all Disney cares to do anymore. We encourage cancellations and pirating of their originals (and when you cancel, explain the reason is you expected library each month along with the originals).
Drew Ryan is a film, TV, and Disney geek. He has degrees in English, Student Personnel Administration, and Library & Information Science from Lawrence University, Concordia University-Wisconsin, and University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. Interested in the minutia and licensing of streaming service content, he is always publishing lists, suggestions, and advocating for Disney’s missing library to be added to Disney+. Drew subscribes to Disney+, Hulu, Netflix, HBO Max, and Paramount+. You can find him waxing nostalgic over classic Disney Channel or geeking out over Marvel, CW shows, & Disney on Twitter.