If you’re just looking for the list, scroll down. Otherwise, here is our updated color chart for August (including the additional content added in July). As you can see, July redeemed itself after a very shaky beginning. It went from 3rd least library since launch to 2nd most. Hilarious. It highlights another issue with their library, by keeping it so shallow each month it’s possible to have wild swings just by adding 15 more titles. If they operated like UK and were dropping 100 a month, there would be room for variances without pissing everyone off and shorting most of the brands or genres. August starts in yellow, but we hope it makes it to green by the time the month ends.
We’ve updated our calculations here a bit. We now subtract the outstanding titles removed from our total library since launch number. That makes perfect sense. We’ll provide both the total and the net gain now. 898 library titles (counting new seasons of existing titles) since November 2019. 837 if the many removed Fox films and specials are counted. We aren’t counting titles that were removed and then returned, so even still our number of “total library” is inflated. If we did not count recently aired seasons and specials as library (which by many definitions, they would not be) and only counted content older than the previous year, we’re looking at closer to 500 library titles added in a 2.5 year period. That’s not particularly satisfying with thousands left missing. Some good news? For the first time in 7 months the monthly average is up! 27.2 library titles a month.
Library Brand Breakdown
[DISNEY FILMS] – 9 (5 are just duplicated titles repurposed as Sing-Alongs, 2 are Touchstone (!!))
[DISNEY JUNIOR] – 4
[NAT GEO] – 4 (Why do they not add this library anymore?)
[DISNEY CHANNEL / XD] – 3
[ABC / FREEFORM / 20TH TV] – 2
[ESPN] – 0 (It was fun while it lasted!)
[20TH CENTURY FILMS] – 0
[RECENT SHORTS}– 0
[VINTAGE TV / SHORTS] – 0 (as always)
TOTAL LIBRARY – 21
ORIGINALS – 5 (Least in many, many months)
RETURNING TITLES: 1 (Old Dogs)
RE-LISTED TITLES: 0
TOTAL ADDITIONS: 26 (Large drop off from recent months)
Arriving On Disney+ August 2022
Wednesday, August 3
- Alice’s Wonderland Bakery (Season 1) Episodes 12-16 [DISNEY JUNIOR]
- The Ghost and Molly McGee (Season 1) Episodes 16-20 (Season finale) [DISNEY CHANNEL]
- High School Musical: The Musical: The Series 3×02 [ORIGINAL] <– STAFF PICK
- Marvel Studios Assembled: The Making of Ms. Marvel [ORIGINAL]
- Pixar’s Lightyear [DISNEY FILMS] <– STAFF PICK
Friday, August 5
- LEGO Star Wars Summer Vacation [ORIGINAL]
- The Lion King (2019) (Sing-Along Version) [DISNEY FILMS] (For some reason Lion King 1994 is getting skipped)
- The Lion King II: Simba’s Pride (Sing-Along Version) [DISNEY FILMS]
- Old Dogs (2009) [DISNEY FILMS] (Returning title – END of HBO / Disney library deal from 2009!)
Wednesday, August 10
- Bluey (Season 3) Episodes 1-25 (Prior to Disney Channel!) [DISNEY JUNIOR]
- High School Musical: The Musical: The Series 3×03 [ORIGINAL] <– STAFF PICK
- I Am Groot (Season 1) [ORIGINAL]
- The Orville (Seasons 1-3) [20TH TV] <– STAFF PICK
- Running Wild with Bear Grylls: The Challenge (Season 1) [NAT GEO]
Friday, August 12
- Disney Summer Magic Quest [DISNEY CHANNEL]
- Father of the Bride [DISNEY FILMS] <– STAFF PICK
- Father of the Bride Part II [DISNEY FILMS] <– STAFF PICK
Wednesday, August 17
- High School Musical: The Musical: The Series 3×04 [ORIGINAL]
- Meet Spidey and His Amazing Friends (Season 2) [DISNEY JUNIOR]
- She-Hulk: Attorney at Law – Series Premiere! [ORIGINAL] <– STAFF PICK
Friday, August 19
- Beauty and the Beast (1991) (Sing-Along Version) [DISNEY FILMS]
- Beauty and the Beast (2017) (Sing-Along Version) [DISNEY FILMS]
- Tangled (Sing-Along Version) [DISNEY FILMS]
Wednesday, August 24
- black-ish (Season 8) [ABC TV]
- Chibi Tiny Tales (Shorts) (Season 2) [DISNEY CHANNEL] (Ahh, so that’s why they left half the episodes off. While DisneyNow has the series all packed together, Disney+ has apparently decided to list it as 2 seasons.)
- High School Musical: The Musical: The Series 3×05 [ORIGINAL] <– STAFF PICK
- She-Hulk 1×02 [ORIGINAL] <– STAFF PICK
Friday, August 26
- Doc McStuffins: The Doc is 10! [DISNEY JUNIOR]
Wednesday, August 31
- America’s National Parks (Season 1) [NAT GEO]
- Andor 2-Episode Series Premiere [ORIGINAL] <– STAFF PICK
- Europe From Above (Season 2) [NAT GEO]
- High School Musical: The Musical: The Series 3×06 [ORIGINAL] <– STAFF PICK
- Secrets of the Zoo: Down Under (Season 3) [NAT GEO]
- She-Hulk 3×03 [ORIGINAL] <– STAFF PICK
Leaving Disney+ August 1, 2022
We are saddened to report that once again both Garfield and Garfield A Tail of Two Kitties are leaving Disney+. On August 1st they, along with The Fault in Our Stars leave and head to HBO Max until November 1st, 2023! Not only that, Eragon will leave for Starz! At least 4 titles removed on August 1st. It could be even worse… 10 Things I Hate About You, Fantastic Mr. Fox, and are all heading to other services such as Hulu, Peacock, and Prime Video. Any of them could leave.
We were correct a few months ago that The Big Year would leave, we were correct 2 months ago that Horton Hears a Who would leave, and sadly, we were correct last month that The Fault in Our Stars will leave. Now, we’re even sadder to report once again that X-Men Days of Future Past WILL leave August 1st or September 1st. The Book of Life will also leave this year. Please follow along here as we track removals and returns. As you can see, we’re looking at a potential blood bath.
Analysis & Ramblings
THE ORVILLE IS COMING TO DISNEY+. That’s it. That’s the message. Oh, but we beg you to please watch it. It needs to be renewed… and we think they’re putting it here to try and increase its audience enough to justify renewal. Please help save this masterful television show. We hope that Only Murders In The Building follows suit in September as a way to launch TV-MA titles along with the ad-tier and that the first season of How I Met Your Father also arrives.
0 SharkFest titles are scheduled for the first two weeks of August. After that, the tenth anniverary of SharkFest ends. We expect the missing 2022 SharkFest specials, like Game of Sharks (about half are unscheduled), will arrive in the first week of August despite not yet showing on the schedule.
As always, no love for Walt. Every month multiple titles from his era should have been arriving since launch.
Disney Channel and Cartoon Check-In
The cartoon library remains ignored for an unprecedented 11th month in a row. Still no Fillmore! even though the UK got it!
Additional data: 46 Missing Cartoons
The Live Action libraries from Disney Channel, Disney XD, and Disney Junior have been abandoned. They’ve added 1 out of the many missing titles in the past 15 months. Gamer’s Guide leaked and then they took it down… what’s taking so long to get released?
Nat Geo Library Is Not Catching Up
How do you miss THIS many titles in 1.5 years from the service that is “supposedly” the streaming home of Nat Geo?
- Gorongosa: Paradise Reborn (2022)
- Home Rediscovered (2021)
- Rise Again: Tulsa and the Red Summer (2021) (On Hulu in USA)
- Killer High The Silent Crisis (2021) (Left Hulu in May 2022)
- Our America: Todos Unidos (2021)
- Mountain Strong: Surviving the Creek Fire (2021)
- Serpent’s Surprise (2021)
- Our America: Asian Voices (so ridiculous this wasn’t added for AAPI month) (2021)
- Our America: Climate of Hope (2021)
- The Last Drop (2021)
- Mission Possible: The Race for a Vaccine (2021)
- The March on Washington: Keepers of the Dream (2021)
- North Korea: Inside the Mind of a Dictator (2021)
- Launch America: Mission to Space Live (2020)
- Butt Heads: The Strange Story of Sheep (2020)
And now that Disney strangely abandoned the batch strategy, the recent seasons of shows are also VERY far behind:
- Gordon Ramsay: Uncharted Showdown (Season 1) – Airing Episodes
- Cesar Milan: Better Human Better Dog (Season 2) – Airing Episodes
- Incredible Dr. Pol (Season 21) – Airing Episodes
- Wicked Tuna: Outer Banks Showdown (Season 1) – Airing Episodes
- World of Flavor with Big Moe Cason (Season 1) – Airing Episodes
- Life Below Zero: First Alaskans (Season 1)
- Life Below Zero: Northern Territories (Season 2)
- Wild Fish (Season 1)
- Wicked Tuna (Season 11)
- Port Protection Alaska (Season 5 – 1 and 2 also missing since launch due to a mistake that licensed them exclusively to NatGeoTV.com for a very long time)
- Wicked Tuna Outer Banks (Season 8, 2nd half missing because they forgot when they stopped batches to finish the half done one) – 2021
- CAR SOS (Season 9) – 2021 (Aired over a year ago. Previous seasons arrived.)
- Lost Treasures of Egypt (Season 2 skipped over when 3 arrived. Season 2 aired in 2020 and is currently stuck on NatGeoTV.com due to a licensing mistake) – 2020
- Atlas of Cursed Places (Season 1) – Streams outside USA.
- 9/11: One Day in America (Season 1) – Streams outside USA.
Additional date: Nat Geo Library Progress
The Usual “Missing Titles” Watch
The usual “missing titles” watch:
- Bridge to Terabithia, Dick Tracy, and Jungle Book 1994 left HBO February 28th, 2021. 1 of the 3 stream internationally.
- Millions, Dr. Dolittle 5 and Flicka: Country Pride recently left HBO or Starz. All 3 stream internationally and 1 of 3 were once on Disney+ USA.
- The BFG, Tini: The New Life of Violetta, and Hulk: Where Monsters Dwell remain missing despite Disney+ streaming all 3 internationally and pulling them off Netflix February 28, 2022. The BFG already streamed on Disney+ in the past.
- Shaggy Dog (2006) – Removed December 2019. Has never appeared anywhere since.
- Everybody’s Hero and Eddie the Eagle remain lost after mysterious removals.
- Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer and Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked never returned after leaving for Peacock, then leaving Peacock. It’s believed they may be heading to Starz.
Additional data: 85 Missing Disney Pictures Films
Additional data: Over 2000 Missing Touchstone, Hollywood, and Fox Films
Additional data: All Titles Removed From Disney+ USA
August is not a great month for fans of Disney’s catalog, like most before it. For half a year Disney+ has morphed into ESPN sports documentaries that trickle in and fallen further behind on Nat Geo shows. Disney recently renewed The Fosters, My Wife and Kids, Doogie Howser, and Malcolm in the Middle on Hulu. All of those shows should have arrived in July. However, with the constant late lineup changes and surprises like The Orville and July’s additions of Deadpool 1-2 and Logan, it’s getting better in spite of the unreliable nature of their monthly lists. One thing we can always count on is no cartoon library, no Disney Channel library, and no vintage library. At least there is hope for general entertainment moving forward. The ad-tier could still transform EVERYTHING. A content drop would do WONDERS… See you in September.
Drew Ryan is a film, TV, and Disney geek. He has degrees in English, Student Personnel Administration, and Library & Information Science from Lawrence University, Concordia University-Wisconsin, and University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. Interested in the minutia and licensing of streaming service content, he is always publishing lists, suggestions, and advocating for Disney’s missing library to be added to Disney+. Drew subscribes to Disney+, Hulu, Netflix, HBO Max, and Paramount+. You can find him waxing nostalgic over classic Disney Channel or geeking out over Marvel, CW shows, & Disney on Twitter.