Despite the shocking decision to dip into their back catalog for the first time in 13 months, there isn’t much library scheduled in October. It felt green, but once we laid it all out we were surprised to see October is initially yellow! We expect additional announcements in the next few weeks to bring it into green for what would be an all-time record 4 months in a row… We hope!
The complete lack of 30 for 30s for the first time in 10 months (and all of 2022) is surprising and something we expect to change. There are also a lot of Nat Geo series still behind… The Halloween and Hispanic Heritage Month lineups are not very good with most missing content remaining vaulted. In some cases, like Bia season 2, Tini: The New Life of Violetta, or Pooh’s Heffalump Halloween, it’s beyond frustrating to see another year pass without them arriving.
Big time original highlights this month include season 2s: Mighty Ducks: Game Changers, Mysterious Benedict Society, and Big Shot. Big Shot is dropping the full season at once which sucks because it’s their best original and this tends to be a kiss of death. We’ve also got the delightful She-Hulk season finale and Andor to look forward to. Plus. our first ever Marvel Studios special: Werewolf by Night. Believe it or not, October is set to be the least originals ever released in one month. Last month was the most. This is a bit of whiplash, but at least the ones they are releasing make up for the quantity. This is “enough,”
Averages / Totals
Library Brand Breakdown
[DISNEY CHANNEL / XD] – 8
[NAT GEO] – 3 (Only?!)
[DISNEY JUNIOR] – 3
[20TH CENTURY FILMS] – 3
[DISNEY FILMS] – 2
[ABC / FREEFORM / 20TH TV] – 1 (+2 Sony Series)
[ESPN] – 0 (End of 10 month streak)
[VINTAGE TV / SHORTS] – 0 (as always)
TOTAL LIBRARY – 22
ORIGINALS – 10 (From most ever last month to least ever this month…)
RETURNING TITLES: 0
RE-LISTED TITLES: 0
TOTAL ADDITIONS: 32 (Huge step back)
It’s not just library lacking in October, as you’ll see Disney is on track to set the all-time worst record for Originals in one month – only a month after setting the all-time best record for most! What…?
Last 3 Months Comparison
Arriving On Disney+ October 2022
Monday, October 3
- Dancing With The Stars (Season 1, Episode 3) *LIVE* [ORIGINAL]
Wednesday, October 5
- Andor (Season 1, Episode 5) [ORIGINAL]
- The Mighty Ducks: Game Changers (Season 2, Episode 2) [ORIGINAL]
- Puppy Dog Pals (Season 5, Episode 15) – Halloween special [DISNEY JUNIOR]
- Shipwreck Hunters Australia (Season 1) [ORIGINAL]
- The Simpsons (Season 33) [20TH TV]
- World of Flavor with Big Moe Cason (Season 1) [NAT GEO]
- Zombies: Addison’s Monster Mystery (Shorts) (Season 1) [DISNEY CHANNEL]
Thursday, October 6
- She-Hulk: Attorney At Law (Season 1, Episode 8) [ORIGINAL]
Friday, October 7
- Calling All Monsters Music Video (Short) [DISNEY CHANNEL]
- Drumline (2002) [20TH CENTURY FILMS]
- Marvel Studios: Werewolf By Night [ORIGINAL]
Monday, October 10
- Dancing With The Stars (Season 1, Episode 4) *LIVE* [ORIGINAL]
Wednesday, October 12
- Andor (Season 1, Episode 6) [ORIGINAL]
- Big City Greens (Season 3, Episodes 10 – 13) [DISNEY CHANNEL]
- Big Shot (Season 2) [ORIGINAL]
- Mighty Ducks: Game Changers (Season 2, Episode 3) [ORIGINAL]
- Sofia the First (Seasons 1-4) [DISNEY JUNIOR]
- Ultra Violet & Black Scorpion (Season 1, Final 6 episodes) [DISNEY CHANNEL] -Many episodes before they air.
Thursday, October 13
- She-Hulk: Attorney at Law (Season 1, Episode 9) — Season finale [ORIGINAL]
Friday, October 14
- Into the Woods (Sing-Along Version) [DISNEY FILM]
- The New Mutants (2020) [20TH CENTURY FILM]
Monday, October 17
- Dancing With The Stars (Season 31, Episode 5) *LIVE* [ORIGINAL]
Tuesday, October 18
- Dancing With The Stars (Season 31, Episode 6) *LIVE* [ORIGINAL]
Wednesday, October 19
- Andor (Season 1, Episode 7) [ORIGINAL]
- Alice’s Wonderland Bakery (Season 1, Episodes 17-20) [DISNEY JUNIOR]
- Bear in the Big Blue House (Seasons 1-4) [DISNEY CHANNEL]
- The Incredible Dr. Pol (Season 21) [NAT GEO]
- Mighty Ducks Game Changers (Season 1, Episode 4) [ORIGINAL]
- PB&J Otter (Seasons 1-3) [DISNEY CHANNEL]
- Raven’s Home (Season 5, Episodes 17-24) [DISNEY CHANNEL] – Many stream before they air on TV.
- The Spectacular Spider-Man (Season 1) [Sony library deal]
- Spider-Man: The New Animated Series (Season 1) [Sony library deal]
- Wicked Tuna (Season 11) [NAT GEO]
Friday, October 21
- Hall of Villains [DISNEY CHANNEL]
Monday, October 24
- Dancing With The Stars (Season 31, Episode 7) *LIVE* [ORIGINAL]
Wednesday, October 26
- Andor (Season 1, Episode 8) [ORIGINAL]
- Mighty Ducks: Game Changers (Season 2, Episode 5) [ORIGINAL]
- The Mysterious Benedict Society (Season 2, Episodes 1-2) [ORIGINAL]
- Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi (Season 1) [ORIGINAL]
- Sumo Do, Sumo Don’t (Season 1, Episodes 1-2) [JAPANESE ORIGINAL]
Friday, October 28
- Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel [20TH CENTURY FILM]
- Marvel’s Hulk: Where Monsters Dwell [DISNEY FILM] – Finally coming after leaving Netflix Feb 28.
Monday, October 31
- Dancing With The Stars (Season 31, Episode 8) *LIVE* [ORIGINAL]
Leaving Disney+ October 1, 2022
Night At The Museum 2: Battle of the Smithsonian will leave. We also expect some of these titles to exit: A Very Boy Band Christmas, X-Men Days of Future Past, The Book of Life, and Night at the Museum 3: Secret of the Tomb. Hopefully none of them do!
We’ve been correct every month for the past 7 months about some exiting titles. Last month we lost Ice Age Dawn of the Dinosaurs.
Please follow along here as we track removals and returns.
Analysis & Ramblings
Nothing. Um… okay. Still not getting better… but Chapek just spent D23 weekend once again talking about how many adults that subscribe do not have kids and mentioned how the most common request is more general entertainment. Sigh. The fact that Buffy, Angel, X-Files, Wayward Pines, Ghosted, etc were not brought over blows our mind. Speaking of spooky content…
Despite the LARGE list of classic content missing, Disney chose to remain in the 2020s. Hall of Villains, a special that aired in 2019, is finally coming to Disney+! It’s been free on Disney Channel YouTube for years, will they take it down? We’re quite disappointed that Ernest Scared Stupid is not joining Ernest Saves Christmas (which they added last year). We also do not understand their apparent inability to stream classic shorts The Skeleton Dance and Runaway Brain or films Watcher in the Woods, Something Wicked This Way Comes, Pooh’s Heffalump Halloween, Tower of Terror, or Mickey’s House of Villains.
Additional Data: Missing Halloween Content
Where’s Walt? / Disney 100 Check-In
As always, no love for Walt. WAIT! They’re finally adding ZORRO! It no-showed in March 2020 and now it’s coming in- What’s that? Disney literally removed it from the list 36 hours after sending it to the press? Great. The #Disney100 year anniversary celebration is off to a bad start. That would have made a great Hispanic Heritage month addition…
Disney Channel and Cartoon Check-In
After 13 long months, Disney remembered their animated toon library exists! PB & J Otter is coming! The funny thing is the streak was going to end this month anyway with Sofia the First finally leaving Netflix October 7 and moving over on the 12th.
Our other bad streak ends in October as well. After 6 months Disney decided to add a missing Disney Branded TV live action series! Bear in the Big Blue House, one of the most requested missing shows since launch, is finally here to celebrate its 25th anniversary. We predicted this back in December! These additions make it even more confusing why Fillmore’s 20th anniversary in September was blown off, but it arrived in UK July. It’s rare we have good news in this section so let’s enjoy it while it lasts…
Additional data: 46 Missing Cartoons
Nat Geo Library Is STILL Not Catching Up
Sadly the 50+ Nat Geo titles set to expire on Hulu October 1st will all be renewed… This includes all 30+ that were renewed in March. It looks like Disney is only licensing them in 6-month increments now. If Disney+ got that collection it would be tremendous.
- Latin America from Above: From Baja to Patagonia (2022)
- National Geographic Investigates: The Fall of Osama Bin Laden (2022)
- Home Rediscovered (2021)
- Rise Again: Tulsa and the Red Summer (2021) (On Hulu in USA)
- Killer High The Silent Crisis (2021) (Left Hulu in May 2022)
- Our America: Todos Unidos (2021)
- Mountain Strong: Surviving the Creek Fire (2021)
- Serpent’s Surprise (2021)
- Our America: Asian Voices (so ridiculous this wasn’t added for AAPI month) (2021)
- Our America: Climate of Hope (2021)
- The Last Drop (2021)
- Mission Possible: The Race for a Vaccine (2021)
- The March on Washington: Keepers of the Dream (2021)
- North Korea: Inside the Mind of a Dictator (2021)
- Launch America: Mission to Space Live (2020)
- Butt Heads: The Strange Story of Sheep (2020)
And now that Disney strangely abandoned the batch strategy, the recent seasons of shows are also VERY far behind:
- Life Below Zero (Season 19) – Airing episodes
- Wicked Tuna: Outer Banks Showdown (Season 1) – Airing episodes
- Gordon Ramsay: Uncharted Showdown (Season 1) – Finished August
- Cesar Milan: Better Human Better Dog (Season 2) – Finished August
- Wild Fish (Season 1) – Finished July
- Port Protection Alaska (Seasons 1-5 are missing, 1-2 since launch, 3-4 since they removed it in August, 5 never arrived)
- CAR SOS (Season 9) – 2021 (Aired over a year ago. Previous seasons arrived.)
- Lost Treasures of Egypt (Season 2 skipped over when 3 arrived. Season 2 aired in 2020 and is currently stuck on NatGeoTV.com due to a licensing mistake) – 2020
- Atlas of Cursed Places (Season 1) – Streams outside USA.
- 9/11: One Day in America (Season 1) – Streams outside USA.
Additional date: Nat Geo Library Progress
The Usual “Missing Titles” Watch
- Epic (2013) Blue Sky film and Dr. Dolittle 2 (2008) both left HBO August 1 and were previously on Disney+ USA.
- Bridge to Terabithia, Dick Tracy, and Jungle Book 1994 left HBO February 28th, 2021. 1 of the 3 stream internationally.
- Millions, Dr. Dolittle 5 and Flicka: Country Pride recently left HBO or Starz. All 3 stream internationally and 1 of 3 were once on Disney+ USA. We hear rumors that Millions and Flicka 4 might go to HBO while Dr. Dolittle 5 goes to Starz. The way the toxic Fox library deals seem to work is they switch back and forth between Starz and HBO with an occasional, brief stop at Disney+.
- The BFG, Tini: The New Life of Violetta remain missing despite Disney+ streaming both internationally and pulling them off Netflix February 28, 2022. The BFG already streamed on Disney+ in the past. Tini appears to have been vaulted because Disney doesn’t prioritize international content, but they aired her concert on Disney+ earlier this summer. Their team is not the sharpest as that was the ideal time to add the film. As we mentioned earlier, Hispanic Heritage month was the ideal time to add Tini…
- Shaggy Dog (2006) – Removed December 2019. Has never appeared anywhere since.
- Everybody’s Hero and Eddie the Eagle remain lost after mysterious removals.
- Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked never returned after leaving for Peacock, then leaving Peacock. It’s believed they may be heading to Starz or HBO due to the extended absence.
Additional data: 85 Missing Disney Pictures Films
Additional data: Over 2000 Missing Touchstone, Hollywood, and Fox Films
Additional data: All Titles Removed From Disney+ USA
October is such a mixed bag! Great surprises like PB & J Otter and Bear in the Big Blue House, but another Halloween season with most of the missing content remaining vaulted and another heritage month that dropped the ball with catalog. Add to that the confusing absence of ESPN 30 for 30s and no general entertainment and you’re left with a month that is a thumbs in the middle, but a thread is pulling that thumb ever so slightly upwards. For that thread to pull the thumb all the up, we’ll need the October 1st video to include some surprises or an announcement of more content coming.
Drew Ryan is a film, TV, and Disney geek. He has degrees in English, Student Personnel Administration, and Library & Information Science from Lawrence University, Concordia University-Wisconsin, and University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. Interested in the minutia and licensing of streaming service content, he is always publishing lists, suggestions, and advocating for Disney’s missing library to be added to Disney+. Drew subscribes to Disney+, Hulu, Netflix, HBO Max, and Paramount+. You can find him waxing nostalgic over classic Disney Channel or geeking out over Marvel, CW shows, & Disney on Twitter.